Pastry Puff Egg Cups make for an elegant egg dish, perfectly suited for Sunday brunch, and are also quite easy to assemble. I use a store bought pastry puff dough, made in France. You can use any decent frozen pastry puff sheets, or if you have lots of time on your hands, you can make your own, but it’s very labor intensive. This is one of those recipes where using a quality store-bought pastry puff outweighs making it yourself.
Thaw out the pastry puff sheets according to the directions.
Cut the dough, so that it will fit to line your muffin pan. I use a Texas muffin pan, which is larger than your average muffin pan. To make cutting easy, I use a rolling pizza cutter.
Grease your non-stick muffin pan. I used a Canola oil non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350° F.
Push the cut dough into the cup, trimming the excess with the pizza cutter.
Don’t worry if they do not look perfect. If the dough tears, just press it together.
Pop them in the oven for 5 minutes or until the dough begins to puff. I do this step first, so that when you add the egg and ingredients, the dough does not absorb the egg.
This next step is where you can get creative. Here I have grated Gruyere, tomatoes, red onion, Cheddar cheese, Manchego cheese, shallots, basil, spinach, ham, Chorizo, and rosemary.
I made an assortment of egg cups. I made Cheddar and ham, spinach, ham and Gruyère, tomato and basil with herbs, Chorizo, tomato and Manchego and tomato and Cheddar. You can put whatever you fancy.
Carefully add an egg to each cup, making sure not to break the yolk. Bake at 350° F. for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the egg yolk is well cooked, but not over cooked.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. The egg cups will easily pop out of the tray.
The flaky, buttery puff pastry paired with the yummy oozing egg yolk and savory ingredients, make this breakfast dish irresistible. I even served it as a light dinner with a crunchy Parmesan crisp.
|Pastry Puff Egg Cups|| |
- Ready-to-bake Pastry puff sheets
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup grated cheese of choice
- ½ cup ham, chorizo or cooked sausage
- Red onion or shallots
- Salt & pepper
- Thaw out the Ready-to-bake Pastry puff sheets according to package directions
- Lay out the pastry puff dough, and cut the dough in a circle or square, so that it will fit in your muffin cups.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray the muffin pan with a cooking spray
- Press the cut dough into each cup, trimming the excess
- Place pan into oven for about 5 minutes or until the dough starts to puff
- Remove pan from oven
- Layer the cups with ingredients of choice
- Carefully an egg into each cup, making sure not to break the yolk
- Top off with a pinch of cheese, salt and pepper
- Bake at 350° F. for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the egg is cooked and the pastry puff is a light golden color