Since I’m not able to go to the legendary Gabriele Bonci’s Pizzarium in Rome, for Pizza Strudel anytime soon, I am making it at home, and you can too. (Correction, Mark is making it, and I am merely assisting him.) Gabriele Bonci is known as the Michelangelo of pizza. How appropriate that his Pizzarium is just 5 minutes from the Sistine Chapel. It is not just the skill of Bonci that makes his pizza so great, but more so the high quality of his ingredients and his innovation. You can make this Pizza Strudel with store bought pizza dough, but I highly recommend making the dough from scratch. Here’s the link to our dough recipe: PIZZA DOUGH FROM SCRATCH
Spread out your pizza dough.
Lay on a floured pizza peel or surface………
stretching out in a rectangular shape.
Use a high quality Ricotta cheese, and drain well.
Place large dollops of ricotta cheese equally spaced on the dough.
Add the Mortadella.
Continue adding till you completely cover the cheese with a nice layer of Mortadella.
Carefully roll the filled pizza dough…….
stretching out from end to end while rolling.
Now the Pizza Strudel is ready to cut.
Cut in even sized pieces, about 1½ – 2 inches thick.
Drizzle baking sheet with olive oil.
Place cut pieces on oiled tray, working quickly so the dough does not start to lose shape.
Fill the baking sheet. Bake at 500° F for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. This makes the perfect hors d’oeuvre, party snack, or dinner with a glass of wine.
|Bonci Pizza Strudel|| |
- Pizza dough (enough for 2 small pizzas)
- Ricotta cheese, well drained
- 6 - 8 slices of Mortadella
- olive oil (to oil the baking sheet)
- Spread out your pizza dough, laying it out on a floured board or surface, stretching out in a rectangular shape.
- Once the dough is shaped, add generous dollops of well drained high quality ricotta cheese. Add the slices of Mortadella, completely covering the cheese. 6 - 8 slices should do the job.
- Carefully roll the pizza dough, lightly stretching out from end to end, while rolling.
- Cut the Pizza Strudel in even sized pieces (1½ - 2 inches thick) and place on an oiled baking sheet, making sure to work quickly so the dough does not start to lose it's shape.
- Bake at 500° F. for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before eating.