Waffles are usually only a simple vessel for syrup, chopped fruit or whipped cream; a doughy platform without much flavor. Here comes where your mind and taste buds get blown and the plain waffle becomes flavorful and aromatic on it’s own right. What separates the plain waffle from the rest is what you add. It’s fun to experiment with waffles, making them sweet or savory. Some work out better than others. In this waffle, the orange zest gives it a nice fruity flavor, with the clove adding a touch of spice.
To make the batter, you start with 2 cups of sifted all purpose flour.
Zest of 1 orange
2 teaspoons of baking powder, 3 tablespoons of sugar
Add 1 1/2 cups of milk
Separate the yolks and whites of 3 large eggs. Set the whites aside.
Add 3 egg yolks……
4 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, and a pinch of salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the 3 egg whites and…..
Wisk the whites until you have stiff peaks.
Gently fold a little bit of the whites at a time, until incorporated into the batter.
Make sure your waffle iron is pre-heated and greased with some butter. Using a ladle, add the batter evenly, making sure not to overfill. Cook the waffles until golden brown. Depending on the waffle maker, this usually takes 4 – 6 minutes.
Now it’s time to make the maple-orange syrup.
Add 1 1/4 cups of good quality maple syrup to a small saucepan.
Juice an orange. It should yield 1/4 cup of juice.
Add the juice to the maple syrup and bring to a gentle boil, then remove from heat. If you don’t like pulp, you can strain the juice. I personally like the pulp in the syrup.
Drizzle the syrup on your Orange Clove waffle, and enjoy!
|Orange Clove Waffles|| |
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Maple-Orange Syrup:
- 1¼ Maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients with the orange zest, milk, vanilla extract and egg yolks. Wisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, wisk the egg whites by hand or with an electric hand mixer. Wisk until you have stiff peaks.
- Gradually fold the whites into the batter, until incorporated. Make sure to gently fold them in. Do not mix it in.
- Add some butter to your pre-heated waffle iron, and ladle a little bit of batter at a time, making sure not to overfill.
- Cook the waffles until golden brown, or according to your waffle maker's instructions.
- Orange-Maple Syrup:
- Add 1¼ cup good quality maple syrup to a small sauce pan.
- Add the juice of 1 orange, or ¼ cup orange juice.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Remove from heat. It's ready to serve